It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Are Computers more capable than Teachers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

there has been a lot of talk on this subject, the question is are Computers really more capable than teachers?

In some ways, yes.

Independent study when using a computer allows a student to learn and absorb knowledge at their own pace, but teachers also help to push students to surpass what they perceive to be their comfortable pace of learning. A combination of the two is probably ideal, but there will always be cases where teachers can assist students in a way that technology simply cannot, as well as cases where students can truly feel most comfortable when free from the pressures of an instructor and their friends.

And in some ways no

Though computer may process information faster than people, therefore be able to perform better or relay things better, sometimes that isn't enough, but certain things "get to you more" when they're conveyed through people, we interact, we feel, we think and we remember a moment that may have meant something more to us that may lead our to future decisions, or at least inspire you.

Please leave your comments below. and say what you think.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Are Computers more capable than Teachers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:28 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I personally believe the computers are way better than teachers. Teachers have a single teaching style which, although it works for some students, it doesn´t for others leaving those students behind. Some teachers believe in mainly pushing the top students forward and others try to mainly focus on the students lagging behind.

With the internet, you can watch online tutorials on youtube and other sites from many different people, each with their own teaching style with 1 that completely suits you, i personally learn more from studying online in 1 hour than i do in 1 month at school so even though i skipped about 1/3 of the school year, i still get top marks. When you learn through the internet, you can choose your level and skip the parts you don´t want to learn or already know. Although, for this to work, you have to be quite independant otherwise you could get easily distracted as its important to have a learning schedule and keep it.

In conclusion, although its different for different people, for me, learning through the internet is superior to learning through teachers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

lkl97 wrote:
I personally believe the computers are way better than teachers. Teachers have a single teaching style which, although it works for some students, it doesn´t for others leaving those students behind. Some teachers believe in mainly pushing the top students forward and others try to mainly focus on the students lagging behind.

With the internet, you can watch online tutorials on youtube and other sites from many different people, each with their own teaching style with 1 that completely suits you, i personally learn more from studying online in 1 hour than i do in 1 month at school so even though i skipped about 1/3 of the school year, i still get top marks. When you learn through the internet, you can choose your level and skip the parts you don´t want to learn or already know. Although, for this to work, you have to be quite independant otherwise you could get easily distracted as its important to have a learning schedule and keep it.

In conclusion, although its different for different people, for me, learning through the internet is superior to learning through teachers.

err learning through internet is also "through teachers" u know?

anyway, one reason school is better than home tutor, is that school offers a community and friendship. Not to mention, life isn't just about knowledge, experience and calculation, it's also about how to live, how to treat other people and how to deal with different feelings. Those things can't be taught by just watching videos or reading the wiki alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:07 pm 
Private
Private

Overall, computers make better teachers, as they can give each student individual attention, and work at the pace of that student (rather than going too fast or slow for some students, because of the average speed of the rest of the class).

But, on the downside, computers can only teach you what they've been programed with, and if a student has a problem that hasn't been programed in, then there's not much the computer can do for them.

There may also be some sociological aspects as well, such as learning how to interact with other people, working harder when you know you're being watched, or putting more merit in praise from a human, than a computer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:54 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

yes computer learning is helpful, but if you have a question about the topic your cant just ask the computer. another disadvantage of computer learning is that the computer doesn't push you to do better it just does what its programed to do. And don't forget computers do crash and get viruses..

And also computers have to get programed by a human teacher. and class learning is helpful on the social aspect of life because in class you interact with your peers and make friends, you cant make friends with a computer can you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

fake wrote:
Overall, computers make better teachers, as they can give each student individual attention, and work at the pace of that student (rather than going too fast or slow for some students, because of the average speed of the rest of the class).

But, on the downside, computers can only teach you what they've been programed with, and if a student has a problem that hasn't been programed in, then there's not much the computer can do for them.

There may also be some sociological aspects as well, such as learning how to interact with other people, working harder when you know you're being watched, or putting more merit in praise from a human, than a computer.

You mad? If the computer doesn´t know something then probably noone in the world does xD.
If the student doesn´t understand something, he can simply google it, that is why Computer > Teachers. If i ever have a question, i never ask a teacher, i always just google it, the internet is likely to have much more up to date and advanced answers than the teacher does, the teacher only knows what he or she was taught at school or university which is years ago, while the internet is updated regularly.
If you want to socialize, you should do it outside of school, school is essentially a place where you go to learn, you can socialize in after school clubs, bars, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Not so true. Computers are good at giving general information about a subject. Say you are stuck on a three part question and you are only struggling with one part of it, it will probably take you a lot longer to find the answer off a computer than to just ask a teacher.

Also...Computers are bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:54 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

You don't need to go to school to be social.. Just play battle dawn :lol:

Check out RupertAngier's Wonderful Community Suggestions ;)
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=25755

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

starwa7s wrote:
Not so true. Computers are good at giving general information about a subject. Say you are stuck on a three part question and you are only struggling with one part of it, it will probably take you a lot longer to find the answer off a computer than to just ask a teacher.

What do you mean computers are bad?
You can simply find the entire question and its answer online.

Supposing the question is from a text book, you can simply google the name of the book and then find the answer booklet online. Ive done it several times in the past. If you are simply practising and not using a text book, you can simply find question sheets online with the answer sheets with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:05 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

lkl97 wrote:
starwa7s wrote:

What do you mean computers are bad?
You can simply find the entire question and its answer online.

Supposing the question is from a text book, you can simply google the name of the book and then find the answer booklet online. Ive done it several times in the past. If you are simply practising and not using a text book, you can simply find question sheets online with the answer sheets with them.

thats cheating, but very clever idea

RupertAngier wrote:
You don't need to go to school to be social.. Just play battle dawn :lol:

thats a diferent type of sociel you are talking about there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next