It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atheism, is it the norm?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm 
Captain
Captain

There are cures for cancer and hiv. It just depends on how far along you are in them before you become completely hopeless.

Retired NEWS Reporter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:06 pm 
Private
Private

Jake wrote:
I was already an atheist at heart. I learned about evolution, it made sense.

How would that make you an atheist? Seeing as the person who came up with the theory (Darwin) was a Christian (as were hundreds of other people who have contributed to science, technology, mathematics, logic etc.)

In fact religion in general may have had a big impact in the beginnings of human civilisation. A common religious belief could unite warring tribes together, and keep societies stable. Writing was taught and passed on by priests for their rituals and such (e.g. hieroglyphic writings in pyramids). Architecture developed so larger temples to the gods could be built. Under the guise of serving the higher purpose of god, religious men didn't have to toil in the fields, and so had time free to dedicate their lives to thought and learning.

As has already been said, science and religion aren't always contradictory, as religion seeks to explain the reason of why, whereas science, the reason of how.

It is completely impossible to prove or disprove the immaterial, so in the end, belief in (or against) God, gods, or any other form of higher being is simply a matter of faith.

Also, atheism is technically a religion too (as it has a belief pertaining to the unknowable nature of existence or the universe).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:59 pm 
AANC Mentors
AANC Mentors

religion was just made back then to explain things that couldnt be understood at the time that's really all it is and how every single 1 of them formed
and also ask yourself how many things in the bible does no1 believe anymore? (such as women being 2nd class citizens)

Hero 2nd
RFW 2nd
3rd E5 SOLO
FPM 1st
TFF 2nd
ToXc 1st
BoS 1st
OC 1st
TFF 1st X2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:46 am 
Captain
Captain

fake wrote:
As has already been said, science and religion aren't always contradictory, as religion seeks to explain the reason of why, whereas science, the reason of how.

Also, atheism is technically a religion too (as it has a belief pertaining to the unknowable nature of existence or the universe).

Seriously bro?? religion tells why n science how... seriously??
atheism is a religion???
that's why never argue with religious people.. like twain said they bring u down to their level n beat u with experience..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:44 pm 
Private
Private

signlord wrote:
Seriously bro?? religion tells why n science how... seriously??

Yes, seriously. What's so difficult to understand? Millions of people understand that science explains how the world works, but still believe that religion gives us answers on more spiritual matters, of why we are here, what life is all about, is there life after death etc. that science can't answer.

signlord wrote:
atheism is a religion???

In that it is a belief pertaining to the unknowable nature of existence or the universe [i.e. the definition of religion] yes. But perhaps it would be better to class it as a religious belief, as is theism, and just as theism can describe other religions (e.g. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc.) there are also other religions that can be grouped into atheism (e.g. Jainism and some Buddhism)

And just so you know, I'm not religious, I'm an agnostic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

No, I don't believe atheism is the normal thing, nor do I believe religion and science are enemies.

As was said previously, it's not like advances in science and mathematics weren't made by religious folks. For a few examples, Kepler, Galileo, Copernicus, Pascal, Boyle, Newton, Linnaeus, Priestley, Mendel, Kelvin, Planck, Bacon etc.

As you can see, many of the more notable scientists that are studied about in science books, were indeed religious.

So, I personally am a Christian, and am not afraid to say it. I don't have a problem with atheists themselves, I just think that they're wrong and will try to prove that using logical arguments.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 pm 
Captain
Captain

fake wrote:

let me give u an example friend.

Question - Why is that beggar having leprsoy?? ("Why")

Religion - For his sins. He can achieve salvation only through penance

Science - Mycobacterium leprae and Mycobacterium lepromatosis.. Vaccination program are launched to eradicate leprsoy completely of the globe..

fake wrote:
religion gives us answers on more spiritual matters, of why we are here, what life is all about, is there life after death etc. that science can't answer.

Why we are here is explained by science - we are here due to big bang and evolution. what life is about - now that is a philosophical question but still in terms of pure science life is about passing ur dna and making sure ur species doesn't go extinct. is there life after death - no..

as simple as that.. science means knowledge and it can explain everything.

fake wrote:
there are also other religions that can be grouped into atheism (e.g. Jainism and some Buddhism)

And just so you know, I'm not religious, I'm an agnostic.

You went full reta.. lol.. Buddhism and Jainism grouped under atheism.. lol.. do u know Buddhists believes in reincarnation and after life right.. :lol:

also any1 who says I'm agnostic is just a confused atheist.. one who can't come to terms with truth.. and still continues to believe in fairy tales.. no offense.. just the truth...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:10 pm 
Private
Private

signlord wrote:
Question - Why is that beggar having leprsoy?? ("Why")
Religion - For his sins. He can achieve salvation only through penance

You clearly don't understand religion. I doubt you'd find many religious people in this day and age that don't understand the role of pathogens in illness, or think that illness is caused by sinning.

signlord wrote:
Why we are here is explained by science - we are here due to big bang and evolution.

That is how we got here, not 'why' we are here.

signlord wrote:
what life is about - now that is a philosophical question but still in terms of pure science life is about passing ur dna and making sure ur species doesn't go extinct.

Again, that's how life continues, but not why it exists.

signlord wrote:
is there life after death - no..

Got any scientific evidence for that? Thought not.

signlord wrote:
as simple as that.. science means knowledge and it can explain everything.

Really? Explain why god doesn't exist then, or why there is no life after death.

signlord wrote:
Buddhism and Jainism grouped under atheism.. lol.. do u know Buddhists believes in reincarnation and after life right.. :lol:

They are still atheist religions though. Look it up if you don't believe m.e

signlord wrote:
also any1 who says I'm agnostic is just a confused atheist.. one who can't come to terms with truth..

If it's the truth, then go ahead and prove it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:24 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm here to tell about Buddhism, they are surely religion, they believe in several "gods" which are called Buddha, also, concept of heaven and hell, as well as reincarnation do exists.

However, unlike Christianity, Buddhism teaches how to live in peace and harmony without the needs to believe in Buddha and all the things matters.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:29 pm 
Captain
Captain

^ I don't know why he is saying Buddhism falls under atheism :?

as for other issues I'm not going to debate anymore..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next