It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Language, freedom, and the hypocrisy of "christian values"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm 
Private
Private

Have you noticed how BD is a war-based game. We are ok with recruiting soldiers, and sending them out to kill other solders. It's a game, we understand it's not real, and we are fine with that. We can nuke other colonies, and murder their civilian population, and that is ok. We can use a spy to spread a deadly virus among the civilian population of another country, and kill 10% of their innocent workers, and we're also ok with that.

But use a "bad word" in game, and suddenly you are super-banned. That's where we draw the line. Why? Because it's "bad language". And why is it bad? who determined that some language is "good" and some other is "bad"? We're in a game about murder. And that's fine, but some conjunction of sounds that hold a particular meaning ... that's not allowed. Other combinations of sounds with the same meaning are ok, it's just that particular combination that gets you superbanned and gets everyone superoffended. Not the terrible grammar and spelling mistakes, and the horrific redaction most players use. No, that's fine, that's not bad language. It's just some particular combinations of letters.

Isn't that the most hypocritical thing you've ever heard of? Isn't it also religious discrimination? It's the christians, the muslims, and some other people with religions that find this words offensive. Atheists usually don't discriminate against particular letter combinations, and have no taboo subjects. Most of this "bad words" are "bad" because they are sexual innuendos, and that doesn't go with religious people. Well, I don't have a religion, isn't it discrimination to force to abide by some rules made by other people's beliefs? I'm offended by superstitions, can we ban the religious practices, as those superstitions offend me? Of course not, they should be free to pursuit their superstitions, and I should be free to use any language I want to in a game where we find it ok to murder other people. Because it's fiction. And we understand it's fiction. If we understand it's fiction when I murder somebody's entire army, why can't we put the insults that come with the opposition happens within the same realm of fiction? I'm not really insulting the person. I'm insulting their in-game persona, it's part of the game, it's natural.

Just stop censorship in BD.

Post subject: Re: Language, freedom, and the hypocrisy of "christian values"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

don't you have a bridge to hide under, those goats might cross the bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:11 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Location: You see that white van? Yeah come inside... I should be around there somewhere
I do have to agree with you there are some problems with it but i guess since there are young people such as kids we dont want to teach this talk so i dont know

Mash
TBA/VK
RA
LO
ScO
M3
WHO
AOD
PAIN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

bfan8475 wrote:
but i guess since there are young people such as kids we dont want to teach this talk so i dont know

just a reminder G rated movies can add hell and damn these days

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 am 
Private
Private

Tenkai wrote:
bfan8475 wrote:
but i guess since there are young people such as kids we dont want to teach this talk so i dont know

Well, yes, in the USA anyway, one of the most P.C, religiously controlled countries in the world.

Anyway, my point was more philosophical than practical. I know censorship isn't going anywhere in BD anytime soon. I was sincerely asking ... why do we censor? and pointing out how silly and unjustified it is. Some people here saying "think of the children" and "movies can't say it", etc. My question, meant to get people thinking about it, was more along the lines of "why". Why aren't we supposed to say certain words around children? Why are some words "bad"? The truth is, there is no reason whatsoever to consider any of Carlin's 7 words different than any other word, and there is no real reason why children can't hear them. "Because they are bad" is not a reason, it's circular logic.

My point was also, if "bad words" are bad for children because they are "stuff for adults" ... are they worse than murdering civilians using viruses released by spies? or nuking civilian populations? Then why isn't that part of the game banned, but "bad words" are.

It's your average republican hypocrisy, trying to ban children from playing fictional violent video games about war while supporting very real wars actually murdering children overseas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

alright... since I'm practically a mod I think I'll answer this one

first, we are registered as a PG-13 game, and that means no bad language allowed. It's not even BD it's about the law, when it comes to PG-13, swears and 18+ materials aren't allowed. Hence that's why we have to add censoring. If not, we'll have serious problems with the law.

bad words mostly go with sexual innuendo, yes, but actually they all have insulting mean. And insult is, despite religion, is an insult. Yes you might not feel bad about it, but someone else will. And in order to keep a nice and civilized playground, we have to put censorship to prevent insulting.

I don't even know where the religion comes from. I'm also an atheist, however I feel perfectly ok with this censorship. One main thing is that I don't need to swear and use bad words in order to get the point across. I've participated in this forum for nearly 2 years and I found no instance where I have to insult.

tl;dr Learn to stay calm and be civilized. You don't have to swear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:46 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

aister wrote:
alright... since I'm practically a mod I think I'll answer this one

first, we are registered as a PG-13 game, and that means no bad language allowed. It's not even BD it's about the law, when it comes to PG-13, swears and 18+ materials aren't allowed. Hence that's why we have to add censoring. If not, we'll have serious problems with the law.

bad words mostly go with sexual innuendo, yes, but actually they all have insulting mean. And insult is, despite religion, is an insult. Yes you might not feel bad about it, but someone else will. And in order to keep a nice and civilized playground, we have to put censorship to prevent insulting.

I don't even know where the religion comes from. I'm also an atheist, however I feel perfectly ok with this censorship. One main thing is that I don't need to swear and use bad words in order to get the point across. I've participated in this forum for nearly 2 years and I found no instance where I have to insult.

tl;dr Learn to stay calm and be civilized. You don't have to swear.

just hit the nail right on the head. yes we have a good number playing this game and yes in all games there are even younger kids playing then what it is intended for, and we dont want to be the place where they learn the word or anything of the sort.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm 
News Team
News Team

almafuerte wrote:
Tenkai wrote:
bfan8475 wrote:

Well, yes, in the USA anyway, one of the most P.C, religiously controlled countries in the world.

Anyway, my point was more philosophical than practical. I know censorship isn't going anywhere in BD anytime soon. I was sincerely asking ... why do we censor? and pointing out how silly and unjustified it is. Some people here saying "think of the children" and "movies can't say it", etc. My question, meant to get people thinking about it, was more along the lines of "why". Why aren't we supposed to say certain words around children? Why are some words "bad"? The truth is, there is no reason whatsoever to consider any of Carlin's 7 words different than any other word, and there is no real reason why children can't hear them. "Because they are bad" is not a reason, it's circular logic.

My point was also, if "bad words" are bad for children because they are "stuff for adults" ... are they worse than murdering civilians using viruses released by spies? or nuking civilian populations? Then why isn't that part of the game banned, but "bad words" are.

It's your average republican hypocrisy, trying to ban children from playing fictional violent video games about war while supporting very real wars actually murdering children overseas.

Aren't you just as morally hypocritical when you spout all this nonsense? You demagogue a party that doesn't hold your views, so I'm assuming you're the typical atheist liberal, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then is it not hypocritical to talk about wars and such when you are in support of murdering unborn children who are just inconvenient to the mother at the time?

Just saying. If you want to talk about how only one side has hypocrisy, I can cite just as many, if not even more hypocritical thought patterns on your side.

Before you assume anything of me, I'm an atheist some-type of conservative libertarian hybrid.

So you rant and rant.. censorship. Why do we have laws or systems then? Who deemed that murder was wrong anyways? If everyone murdered in society, then would it be morally wrong?

Why do we have censorship? Who deemed that saying 'F***' was wrong anyways? If everyone said 'F***' all the time in public, then would it be morally wrong?

We deemed that murder was wrong, because it takes away someone's life, which we deem precious.

We deemed that saying 'F***' was wrong, because it's generally used in a derogatory sense, which we deem offensive.

We made laws against murder to stop people from doing it. Doesn't mean you can't, just means there's a disincentive in doing it.

We made a censorship system against derogatory/offensive words. Doesn't mean you can't say them, just means there's a disincentive in doing it.

The result means less murders.

The result means less public swearing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

but if everyone said 'f***' in public everyone would be used to it and no one would care seeing as it would be adopted into everyones everyday words

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

then it would be less of an insult, why u use swear if it's not an insult?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next