It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Willing to make an RTS version of Battledawn.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 pm 
Private
Private

I've always loved the concept of Battledawn, it is just so fun with all the strategic elements involved. But what I really liked was the unit construction system, wherein you choose three parts to make up the unit.

Now, after many years playing Battledawn, I've always wondered what it'd be like as a top down RTS game with pretty much the same graphics style as Battledawn itself. I started to develop games as a hobby many years ago with Game Maker. And thus, recently, this idea could become a reality!

So here is why I've posted this topic. I am willing to construct a top down RTS version of Battledawn for the WHOLE community. This could even be a community project as well!

I came up with an idea that when the game is developed, Battledawn can take all rights for it if they like, and make money through that as well.

But one problem... I am not so great with graphic design... So if anyone, preferably the actual graphics artist for Battledawn is willing to draw up the graphics needed for the game, that would be absolutely perfect! Example: The GUI (graphics user interface), top down sprites of the units, their unit portraits, terrain, etc. What would make up an RTS really.

This is a great idea/dream that I am willing to commit to, and if the whole Battledawn community is interested, they can join in as this will be fun!

Post subject: Re: Willing to make an RTS version of Battledawn.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BD is an RTS...

or u mean games like Star Craft?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58 pm 
Private
Private

Well, technically BD is an RTS, but not what I'm talking about.

I mean RTS' as in: Command and Conquer, StarCraft, Supreme Commander, etc...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Symmetrik wrote:
I've always loved the concept of Battledawn, it is just so fun with all the strategic elements involved. But what I really liked was the unit construction system, wherein you choose three parts to make up the unit.

Now, after many years playing Battledawn, I've always wondered what it'd be like as a top down RTS game with pretty much the same graphics style as Battledawn itself. I started to develop games as a hobby many years ago with Game Maker. And thus, recently, this idea could become a reality!

So here is why I've posted this topic. I am willing to construct a top down RTS version of Battledawn for the WHOLE community. This could even be a community project as well!

I came up with an idea that when the game is developed, Battledawn can take all rights for it if they like, and make money through that as well.

But one problem... I am not so great with graphic design... So if anyone, preferably the actual graphics artist for Battledawn is willing to draw up the graphics needed for the game, that would be absolutely perfect! Example: The GUI (graphics user interface), top down sprites of the units, their unit portraits, terrain, etc. What would make up an RTS really.

This is a great idea/dream that I am willing to commit to, and if the whole Battledawn community is interested, they can join in as this will be fun!

BattleDawn is best known for its social aspect, the complexity in all those friendlies, NAPs, backstabbing, betrayals, etc. made up of most of BD. The turn-based elements and long playing time allow players to communicate and plot out the best plan.

while a strategy game like Star Craft, it's only for 2~3 hrs per match, which doesn't have enough time for the whole game with lots of other elements as well. And not to mention this will make the game become "too mainstream" which lost our competitive edge against other game...

but if u really want to, then I have some suggestions: make it 2 maps, 1 for the maps inside the colonies, and one more for the world map. This way u can have a customized colony without getting too big in ur world map

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I think he means a offline version like we discussed yesterday aister.

Well m8 the problem with this is of course the amount of time you'll have to spend programming every aspect of BD to fit into a offline environment. You'll require loads of Time & devotion not to mention the AI you'll have to program to manage each of the NPC's separately.

It's a daunting task and I'm very tempted to take up the same task as you,but I don't have the time tbh.Just make sure you want to do this before you start ;) Might take a year of development even 3 to make sure it's perfect.

Also you can keep it turned based,like the player can do things within a set amount of time before that turn is over etc,like befriend other AI alliances etc. Also you'll have to make a separate AI system to be in the players alliance & manage NPC's there.Diffrent variables which influences if AI alliance 1 will befriend the player alliance or AI alliance 2 and later on will backstab the player alliance because they saw a weak spot etc.

Well this is of course if you're speaking of a offline version
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 pm 
Private
Private

I don't necessarily plan on converting the whole BD concept into RTS format. I'm aiming for the idea of BD, the look, the feel into RTS.

It would be more of a fan game type style. It would have all the RTS components, but the design of BD in mind, e.g; the units, structures and the GUI.

You build a base with all the structures in the original BD game, and you produce units like the original BD game.

I wouldn't say this would be terribly daunting for what I'm aiming for. This is like a fan game. Not a remake.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

well I'm thinking of The Nemesis of the Roman Empire kinda game, it does have some elements that is in BD.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]