It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 2012 US election
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:07 am 
Captain
Captain

Big election is looming closer, figured a general thread to discuss things would be nice. Romney is hilariously bad, a lot of Europe dislikes him (especially the UK) because every time he opened his mouth, something controversial falls out, so I am assuming some Europeans wouldnt be that fond.. However, it is obviously USAmerican so this is not posted in world events.

To kick things off Ill just leave a couple links from the last few days.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/0 ... ostpopular
Wells Fargo fires employee to prevent their premiums from rising to cover the health insurance paying for that employees dying daughter. (she dies as the cancer surgery was cancelled)
Obamacare would save lives and prevent things like this happening.

Obama's platform seems to be healthcare. In terms of drugs, he appears better than mitt but he has still cracked down harder on dispensaries than Dubya.

Romney's appears to be business? Its hard to tell based on his actions.

Right now the general upheaval would have to be Romney's tax records (Obama has joined Reid's words with an official attack ad. Pulling out attack ads on romney makes me think Romney is locked in. Recent approval ratings has him at 41% to 51% of Obama (double digit lead)) and more recently, Saul's comments regarding Mitt's previous record and his "Romneycare" in Massachusetts.
http://www.businessinsider.com/rush-lim ... ion-2012-8
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/0 ... sk-off-FOX
Limbaugh and Coulter have both taken to the airwaves condemning the slip up of Saul's on Fox news.

So in the past 2 days, the general news seems to be on Mitt Romney due to Reid's words and Saul's slip up on fox.

Just gonna call it now, even though I am not a US citizen doesnt mean I cant have an opinion, just means I wont be voting. The US represents a huge chunk of the world financially, military, etc. Whoever gets voted into power makes a huge difference around the world so being aware and informed of the candidates is incredibly important. Also if you are a US citizen, do register to vote, its a bit under pa for USA to bring war to other countries to bring democracy and then many of the citizens dont vote. You have democracy, use it.

Also requesting a moderator to keep an eye on things, (especially since its politics)
Try to provide links, especially links to news items which are recent and relevant.
No name calling each other. Avoid name calling candidates and people in general. No Mittens, no Obamaloney. Civilized, please.

Edit** woot, my *attack ad* linking worked. Later posts should be cleaner from now on.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

Post subject: Re: 2012 US election
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:06 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/0 ... ostpopular

Spoiler:
TKT - Rank 10 E3
NICT - Rank 9 F2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I don't really like either of them but I want Romney to win, Obama needs to get out

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 am 
Captain
Captain

ghossfeld88 wrote:
I don't really like either of them but I want Romney to win, Obama needs to get out

Thats great and all, but this is discussion and debate, it would be fantastic if you actually explained your reasoning behind it.
People will often find they are not happy with either candidate, but what about Romney makes you believe he is better than Obama? Please provide some actual input rather than just increasing your post count by 1.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:51 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Is Ron Paul running?

Not sure, but if he is, then I am not gonna support him. He is too conservative, embraces laissez faire capitalism, doesnt support welfare etc., Cutting military spending and bringing back the troops is great and all, practically he wouldnt be able to do it. So, not him.

Romney - is a big sell out. Top of it he makes an ass of himself in Israel saying Palestinians are poor cuz they have inferior culture and then flip flops over and over again. Whatever his position, he is a corporate shark. On top of all that, he will go start a war with Iran, first thing. People must be nuts to vote for him. But whatever.

Obama - Yup, Id support him. I dont necessarily think he is any different from Romney or whatever. I personally think the Republicans and the Democrats, both pander to the corporations and do what they want them to do (so to speak), but I guess he is the lesser of all evils. He supports gay marriage rights, he supports abortion rights (I think), and he is for universal healthcare and welfare, all of which I support.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:59 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

He isn't any different from Romney? Romney was born in Bloomfield hills. His net worth is 250 million. Hell, his first name is Willard. :lol: Who would expect a person that doesn't know the value of a dollar to know what it's like to struggle financially? He can't help this country.

Spoiler:
TKT - Rank 10 E3
NICT - Rank 9 F2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:18 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

He isnt different in the sense, at some level he too panders to the corporations. Cuz they give him money etc.,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:30 am 
Captain
Captain

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012 ... -mate?lite

Paul ryan likely to be Mitt's VP.

mfreak wrote:
Is Ron Paul running?

No, unless something crazy happens at Tampa

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:10 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

President Romney hahahahahahahahaahahahahaahaha

Liam wrote:
Rise my minions, VOTE FERR3T #1 FOR HEAD MOD!!

Simmen wrote:
How are you not a admin Hal?..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 am 
Captain
Captain

Xeru wrote:
President Romney hahahahahahahahaahahahahaahaha

Go the spam bro, or contribute to the discussion.

You may think its funny, but you need to remember that Romney is amassing a massive bank of super PACs and donations. He can easily outstrip Obama's spending ability and flood advertisers with the pro Romney message. This election also has far reaching consequences in the supreme court with 2 justices retiring and the president can elect for their positions. We are talking about 4+ years of either right or left supreme court rulings of issues that are often 5-4 in ruling. Next president can effect the passing of laws for well over a decade.

As for my update, it would appear that while the tax return issue with Mitt has dropped a bit with his picking of Paul Ryan. It remains and I have reason to believe the Obama campaign will capitalise on it. It is clear they are damaging, a lot of conservative talk says they are damaging and wants them out in the open early rather than later.

No actual link, just obama's and biden's returns. Likely to be used as political fodder ie. "Here are mine, where are yours? What are you hiding?"

Edit*************
One last thing I didnt cover in the first post, there is a 3rd candidate, Gary Johnson who does have quite a shot at getting into the presidential debate.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next