It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: We need to talk about kevin. Er.... the forum.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

LOL I have brought this up so many times. I remember 3 years ago when I was a noob, I messaged Seth about the censorship and he wasnt very happy with my email :lol:

Yeah we dont need censorship. Flame wars, rudeness etc should be allowed on the forums. Its not like anyone is not ever gonna swear at you in life or not be rude to you, so on a game forum, its fun when someone flames. I enjoy flame wars, and it keeps the forums active.

I also agree with reducing the number of sections. I remember somewhere I suggested that too. We dont need so many sections. It spreads people across sections too thinly.

Regarding mods...well there have been tons of times I have went off against mods for bein stupid. lol. But most of these guys have matured into good mods. For example I used to have a problem with Jake being too uptight with rules, and then I wrote an email to Michael to train mods before actually making them mod the forums. I think now they have "training moderator" for junior mods dont they? I remember seeing it.

You gotta understand that most of the mods are also players, most of the time they are quite young, so it takes a bit of time for them to get into the right mode, so to speak. I have personally seen these changes in a lot of our mods that we have today. You gotta give em time. Though, the strict rules need to be less strict.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:47 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Oh well. Now I'll add my $ 0.02

Censorship: No way, we can remove it. Not that I think you guys are not mature enough to decide on your own whats wrong and whats right. And PG 13 a few years ago is not PG 13 nowadays. Thats true and it changed. So I agree to kick out some words from this long list. But:
I can see where it would end. One player is cursing, another one replies, a third get annoyed and the mods have to sort it out and might probably hand out warnings and bans. The result: a new topic about over moding the forum.
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think evading the word-filter got punished lately (only in a really bad case)
So, I think you guys and gals are able to have a good debatte and a lot of discussion even with this censorship.

Mods: keep in mind that all their work is voluntarily. Sometimes school and RL are more important and it should be more important anyway. I am generally very happy with our mods and admire how much they do and are willing to do - just for the reason that they love the game and the players.
I am not a friend of locking threads tho....

Sections: I agree. Its way to much and generally hard to figure out what is where to find. The first days as admin, I tried to tell some new players where to find the suggestion thread... oh well, I gave up and just gave a direct link

All in all, here is room for improvement and thats not bad at all. BD changed all the time. We planned for example things like the global chat now over years. From the first idea, to the first coded chat in our dev section over to RC and now on all worlds.
We are in a very good stage right now that we can add updates and implement most wanted suggestions more quickly than before.
So, you gotta be careful what you wish - it might come true ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:29 pm 
Captain
Captain
 YIM  Profile

Wolowitz wrote:
Firstly, it was my understanding that mods were supposed to be more active than the average user. Sure, you have Ryan and Shelton, but everyone else can't truly be classified as active. And don't say "But I'm on all the time!", because that's not being active. The point is actually DOING SOMETHING while you're on. Staff inactivity is a huge problem. Tell the mods to be more active. And if they don't follow that advice, replace them.

:oops: <3 I was mentioned in a post yay but overall I like most of what you said in your thread you have created BD is a game and forum that is always improving So just as there is slack needed for such things as censored data there is also slack needed for the staff what Ilona said is true we love doing what we do and do it out of choice not necessity in that aspect it is only a necessity if we want to keep our position in staff I believe we could improve yes me and ryan you post dramatically sometimes :D and yeah we are always on but I am also behind the scenes the others are here just actively doing t=other things not around as much as what I would like (because I love my friends in staff and love talking to them ) but there are Real Life things as well as school and so on that has many reasons to be of them not always posting. I would love to see some of everyone's ideas posted such as a background that can be chose for each individual player and a few other things but the programmers are working best they can you looked at one of the things like the global chat there are tons going on behind scenes like the new mecha game that is still being improved. ummmmmm Not much else I know of to say so I will just end this with a spam picture <3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:39 pm 
Major
Major

mfreak wrote:
LOL I have brought this up so many times. I remember 3 years ago when I was a noob, I messaged Seth about the censorship and he wasnt very happy with my email :lol:

Yeah we dont need censorship. Flame wars, rudeness etc should be allowed on the forums. Its not like anyone is not ever gonna swear at you in life or not be rude to you, so on a game forum, its fun when someone flames. I enjoy flame wars, and it keeps the forums active.

I also agree with reducing the number of sections. I remember somewhere I suggested that too. We dont need so many sections. It spreads people across sections too thinly.

Regarding mods...well there have been tons of times I have went off against mods for bein stupid. lol. But most of these guys have matured into good mods. For example I used to have a problem with Jake being too uptight with rules, and then I wrote an email to Michael to train mods before actually making them mod the forums. I think now they have "training moderator" for junior mods dont they? I remember seeing it.

You gotta understand that most of the mods are also players, most of the time they are quite young, so it takes a bit of time for them to get into the right mode, so to speak. I have personally seen these changes in a lot of our mods that we have today. You gotta give em time. Though, the strict rules need to be less strict.

Aww shucks :P

You can't expect a new moderator to be good at it on the first day I remember when I first started I had this cocky hard arse mentality going on that I now look back on and laugh. You see no one was a great mod to begin with. I remember when Tom first started, actually I remember when Ferr3t started and when Shelton and Ryan and Dawnice and Elric and GoldenPaw all first started and we all had a newby time period where we didn't know what we were doing.

I believe that the mods should be more active and that is why I have been trying myself to be much more active in the last week or so even with Anna and Work trying to invade my BattleDawn time.

Mfreak, I agree with you on almost anything you are a rational thinker and this scenario is no different. I think censorship should go down while it is replaced my more moderation and monitoring.

Ilona wrote:
Oh well. Now I'll add my $ 0.02

Censorship: No way, we can remove it. Not that I think you guys are not mature enough to decide on your own whats wrong and whats right. And PG 13 a few years ago is not PG 13 nowadays. Thats true and it changed. So I agree to kick out some words from this long list. But:
I can see where it would end. One player is cursing, another one replies, a third get annoyed and the mods have to sort it out and might probably hand out warnings and bans. The result: a new topic about over moding the forum.
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think evading the word-filter got punished lately (only in a really bad case)
So, I think you guys and gals are able to have a good debatte and a lot of discussion even with this censorship.

Mods: keep in mind that all their work is voluntarily. Sometimes school and RL are more important and it should be more important anyway. I am generally very happy with our mods and admire how much they do and are willing to do - just for the reason that they love the game and the players.
I am not a friend of locking threads tho....

Sections: I agree. Its way to much and generally hard to figure out what is where to find. The first days as admin, I tried to tell some new players where to find the suggestion thread... oh well, I gave up and just gave a direct link

All in all, here is room for improvement and thats not bad at all. BD changed all the time. We planned for example things like the global chat now over years. From the first idea, to the first coded chat in our dev section over to RC and now on all worlds.
We are in a very good stage right now that we can add updates and implement most wanted suggestions more quickly than before.
So, you gotta be careful what you wish - it might come true ;)

Now Ilona, I must say that I disagree with you here but I see your point and I want to clarify that I was not suggesting removing all the filters just some of them to allow the less naughty words ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:41 pm 
Captain
Captain

Keep the censoring...

If you are on the side that doesn't want people to see swear words.. then it's a win for you.

If you are on the side that likes seeing swear words.. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks, mother (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..). Otherwise you're just a dumb (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..). :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:08 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I don't think we even need to use cussing words to get the point across. Over one year staying on the forum, participating in flame wars, discussions, debates and I have never found an occasion where I need to use bad words to get the others to understand wat I want to say. True I do flame, I do insult, and I do get angry, but I don't go and say censored this and censored that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

aister wrote:
I don't think we even need to use cussing words to get the point across. Over one year staying on the forum, participating in flame wars, discussions, debates and I have never found an occasion where I need to use bad words to get the others to understand wat I want to say. True I do flame, I do insult, and I do get angry, but I don't go and say censored this and censored that.

That's cool. But who cares? It's not an issue whither people swear or not as long as it's censored. Those who don't want to see it, don't see it because it's censored. Those who want to see it (almost always) read the swear word instead of reading "censored" anyway. Everybody wins.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:54 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

The old forum was great, I'm not sure what changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I'm particularly interested in this "karma" system I've heard about. Why was this removed?

[19:00:21] Alexander: thats my opinion, maybe its (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:00 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

As I understand it; the only significant change that occurred was the reset of spam.

YesNoMaybe wrote:
I'm particularly interested in this "karma" system I've heard about. Why was this removed?

Not entirely sure.

Spoiler:
TKT - Rank 10 E3
NICT - Rank 9 F2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next