It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abortion: Yay or nay?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:26 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

it is not killing a life until the baby takes its first breath of life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:42 am 
Captain
Captain

there is plenty of moral ambiguity, but i feel
spanish wrote:
it is not killing a life until the baby takes its first breath of life.

is wrong.

i think its more to do with "i think therefore i am"

what makes us human isnt a kidney, or an arm. its the mind, and when the fetus has a developed nervous system is when it becomes extremely morally dubious

general rule of thumb:
1st trimester - embryo is hardly anything more than a sack of cells, indistinguishable from an elephant embryo. on par with using contraception due to the lack of development.
2nd trimester - becomes morally dubious with added growth, i suggest a doctor's reason either citing medical, physical or psychological reasons for the abortion.
3rd trimester - you have had enough time you get your stuff together, you might as well carry it to term. couple that with the fact that often fetuses in this time frame can be delivered successfully (severely premature, limiting survival chance) means that there is no legitimate reason other than if it were life threatening to the mother which usually means it is also life threatening to the fetus.

to those who say nay without clarification
3 things.
fallopian pregnancy. the egg didnt get all the way out the fallopian tubes, has been fertilized and implanted into the wall of the fallopian tube. if allowed to continue to develop, the fetus will rupture the tube lining causing internal haemoragging killing both mother and in turn, destroy fetus. allow for abortion? the fetus has no chance, you are just condemning the mother to death.
usually fallopian pregnancies self abort by unimplanting and washing out with menstrual cycle, but otherwise it will kill sometime during the 2nd trimester as the fetus increases in size.

rape. the victim has been raped but it was from a friend and shame kept her from coming out against him as she comes from a conservative area and wouldnt want the public shame, she also didnt know how to contact certain services and as such no use of the morning after pill or anything. 2nd trimester, again, the morally dubious zone. will you force her to carry a rape child for another 4 months?

crazy. unknown father, woman suffers from a list of mental illnesses, the drugs she takes are having an unknown toll on the child, probably gonna get messed up from the imbalances. she says she doesnt want the child and as the pregnancy inconveniences her, serious doubt is thrown on whether she can even successfully carry out a full pregnancy without killing herself/the fetus/horribly maiming one or the other.

not so fun fact: 25%-50% of all fertilized eggs do not implant into the wall of the uterus, they are instead accidentally flushed out with the menstrual cycle
not so fun fact: illegalising abortion does not necessarily lower abortion rates.
not so fun fact: once, a pastor who was advocating anti abortion, used a real still born child as a prop. and dropped it.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm 
Captain
Captain

If abortions were illegal, people would get them done illegally, and a lot less safely. (Which happens in some places)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:30 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm against abortion, since it's an act of irresponsibility. Ofc, if the woman was forced to have that baby then it's a different story.

However, I'm also against illegalize abortion, irresponsible or not... it's their own decision. Not to mention the cases of "different stories" too.

And just as Diaz said, if we illegalize abortion, those who want to abort will find illegal abortion place, which mostly doesn't have safe methods and equipments and it's quite dangerous.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:42 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Quote:
I'm against abortion, since it's an act of irresponsibility.Ofc, if the woman was forced to have that baby then it's a different story.

Its not exactly an act of irresponsibility. The woman simply may not wanna go through pregnancy. Since it is not you that is going through all the pain and the suffering, she has every right to not have a baby she doesnt want to.

BTW I told you no one can force a woman to have a baby. That would be rape.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:54 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

and I told u that I was avoiding that word =="

and if she doesn't want to go through pregnancy, or can't raise the kid or watever the reason for the abortion, then she shouldn't have sex unprotected or in unsafe days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:01 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Quote:
and if she doesn't want to go through pregnancy, or can't raise the kid or watever the reason for the abortion, then she shouldn't have sex unprotected or in unsafe days.

Unprotected sex is irresponsibility, yes. But contraceptives aren't 100% effective either. There are other factors that CAN cause pregnancy, stuff that we dont normally expect to cause pregnancy. I dont wanna go about giving sex education, but you can look it up. But in any case, a woman is simply free to abort if she cant take care of the baby. Sometimes it might even have to do with financial situation or family situation etc., So you cant simply judge like that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

and I did leave out "another story" didn't I?

can they take care of the baby or not? do she want to go through pregnancy or not, financial and family status, etc. they all must be thought of before the couple decide to have sex. Doing something without thinking of the consequences is just plain irresponsible.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:24 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Again, people dont have sex JUST to have babies. If everyone has to think about all these factors people would be virgins till 30 years of age. Pregnancy is always a risk, at some level or the other. You cant keep worrying about it all the time, or you simply gonna end up all worried and your thing aint gonna work :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:49 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

that's why I said ppl are being too irresponsible.

Having sex doesn't mean they want children, that's why there are protecting methods, picking dates and such. If it's protected and safe day but still get pregnant somehow, it's not something I can say.

However, if someone have sex, unprotected and don't care about the date, and then abort becuz they just don't want to have babies, it's too irresponsible.

Sure, if they don't know or don't have access to protecting methods, it's also not something I can say.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next