It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

what are you
for 63%  63%  [ 39 ]
against 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
undecided 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 62
 Post subject: Re: Death penalty
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:43 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Then dont put him in a box. It calls for prison reforms. Not death.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

ShiningForce wrote:
Well, I was told the death penalty is only used in severe cases of unprovoked murder. Personally, I feel like those broken individuals who kill for no reason should just be put to rest.

However, there are certain individuals who may be provoked emotionally or physically. Like, a 15-yr old high school boy who snaps and puts a sharpened plastic spoon through a bully's throat or a young woman exacting revenge on a rapist who caused her permanent trauma.

Overall, in most cases - there's some kind of underlying stipulation that results in homicide. Unprovoked killings = Death Penalty. It's also an economic issue, which was brought up previously. I'd rather not pay more tax money to house and feed a guy who decided to shoot up a liquor store to gain entrance into a gang.

As an added note, I would actually grant the death penalty as mercy to the individual and to save state upkeep costs. Charles Ponzi, for example... he was sentenced to something like 200 years in a max security cell. Max security is crap where the prisoner gets like 1 hour of time outside of the cell per day. Other than that, they just sit in a box all day. He may have been a complete slimebag scamming millions upon millions from people. I just think it's really screwed up to keep him in a box... let him rest.

I think this better voiced my opinion *Thumbs up*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:17 pm 
Private
Private

Without prisoners where would all the civil servants go, unemployed, drain on society again. The loss of their income would then impact all the supply industries that they absorb. This is a government supply chain that requires input and so crimes are created. Look at the history of the opiate trade and the fortunes and dynasties that created. The child labour trade used to extract minerals has been going on for generations. Col. Gaddafi was developing an underwater storage facility to make northern lybia one the most prosperous areas in the world, he refused payment in US dollars and demanded gold only. european countries then sponsored an overthrow of his regime, I do not say what he did was right or wrong but based purely on tribal lines for better or worse. These are just a few of the instances sponsored by your governments and here you show your disgust when a man kills another man but watch enthralled as a beast kills another either for food or pride protection. Look to see how many people have died by the hand of your government and then judge your common man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:29 am 
Captain
Captain

krazedkid101 wrote:
mrducky wrote:
money wise? its cheaper to keep them in a prison.

60-75 years of providing for someone is cheaper then a 100cc solution you make? I doubt it.... Plus, whats the point of keeping someone in prison until they die?

mfreak addressed you already but i feel i should pitch in personally.
READ WHAT I ACTUALLY WRITE BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE IT.

judges, courts, lawyers etc are expensive (not any hobo can be a judge/lawyer... maybe a lawyer ;) ). you need to move the defendant around with armed guards, you need a system in place to prevent media from badgering him and affecting the fair trial (otherwise, BOOM, retrial, tens of thousands of more dollars and death row gets push back another couple months)

the death penalty is barbaric, archaic and out of touch with modern society. list the developed countries of this world with the death penalty.

list the developing countries with the death penalty.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:37 am 
Captain
Captain

Quote:

USA :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 am 
Captain
Captain

Diazepam wrote:
Quote:

USA :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

thank you for the full list.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Red - Retains death penalty (58)
Blue - Abolished for all offences (96)
Orange - Not used in the last 10 years or uses it very rarely but retains death penalty (34)
Green - Abolished for all offences except for special circumstances (9)

Source - Wikipedia.

As you can see, atleast 105 out of the 197 countries have abolished it for all offences. Heck, even Russia, which according to cold war propaganda is a "brutal" country has abolished it for all offences.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:42 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

If you take a life why should you deserve to live and then make taxpayers pay for you for the rest of your life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

One hand with the against it side, I must agree with the fact that it is barbaric to have the right to take the life of another since I am a full-fledged Catholic and have been grown up into the morals of the Bible and Church. Although, you kill about 50 people and just holy Jesus I really don't think you deserve to still be living in this world.

I think they should limit the death penalty a tad more though. Make the crime for to deserve it a bit more extreme.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:35 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Without the death penalty there would be more crimes

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next