It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

what are you
for 63%  63%  [ 39 ]
against 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
undecided 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 62
 Post subject: Re: Death penalty
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

lol i just had to say something like that its rare that i log in now a days ´cya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

You have to remember though that death row is completely backed up. A lot of people sentenced to death die of natural causes in prison before being executed.

I said Welcome to Detroit City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

You have to remember though that death row is completely backed up. A lot of people sentenced to death die of natural causes in prison before being executed.

I said Welcome to Detroit City

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

I am DEAD against the death penalty. Firstly you cannot bring back a life that was taken, by killing the person that took it. Secondly the death penalty is state sponsored murder, that is just as bad, if not worse than the actual crime. How is one murder sponsored by the state called a "penalty" and the other not approved by the state called a crime? To me causing death, is murder. Simple as that.

Quote:
They should just kill people that have committed violent crimes, most of them are psychopaths that wouldn't give two *CENSORED* about what happens to themselves or others. Psychopaths and sociopaths that don't feel emotion shouldn't be felt sorry for. Simple as that.

The problem here is that you dont really solve the problem. Psychopaths dont have any emotions, yes. But they dont have any emotions, not because they are bad, its because they are SICK. Such people need to be incarcerated for the rest of their lives to prevent them from harming others, or should be treated in an institution. Killing a sick person like that, is akin to Nazi eugenics that put to death people that were mentally challenged.

Quote:
The system is pretty efficient, at least here. There are tests (even a simple lie detector test could prove plenty). So being wrongly accused isn't really an issue when you consider the extensive investigating and judging that they do.

The System is efficient? LOL. Did you not see that movie Hurricane? It was this real life story of a boxer that was jailed for 25 years, after being falsely convicted for a murder. He was framed because of a racist and corrupt law enforcement. What if the prosecution when he was convicted had pushed for the death penalty? Clearly you can see that the system is quite inefficient. Also a lie detector just detects spikes in yoru blood pressure, when you lie. You can train to pass a lie detector test, even if you were lying. So wrong accusations are entirely possible.

The best way to punish a person is to give him a life sentence. Its not about being in Jail. Its about losing time. When someone cuts someone else's life short, making the person watch time pass by is the best way to punish him/her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:59 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Well I definitely see your point. Death by lethal injection for a guy that murdered a bunch of people is pretty merciful... why not just let him live, but in prison? It's not like they do firing squads or anything anymore.

With the movie, yes I've seen it. That was a different time. In the 60's, people were racist. Not that racism isn't a problem today, but you don't see firefighters calling black people names and shooting them with fire hoses, do you? Racism isn't acceptable in today's society, so how does that apply here? Sure a judge or a prosecutor or an FBI agent or whatever might be prejudiced against a man, but you have to weigh in the other people too. The community, the jury, (they're specifically asked if they have any prejudices the court should know about for a reason) and others.

And advanced lie detector machines can detect spikes in blood pressure, an elevated heart rate, perspiration, and other things. They're not so primitive that they only measure one thing. It's not easy to pass a lie detector test if you're guilty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 am 
Captain
Captain

I'm for the death penalty. We don't have it in european countries but I think we should have.

You've got to ask yourself. What are prisons/jails actually for? To rehabilitate murderers? So killers who have killed several people with an axe can think about what they did? No. It's to separate those people from the public. To prevent them from doing any more harm.

Seperate from us, alive in a prison while my tax pays for his 2 meals a day? No thanks.

Seperate from us, dead? Yeah, i'd take that option.

Just some scenarios for you to think about. People like comparing humans to animals sometimes when talking about morals. So here.

Let's say you own a pet store, and you have 15 dogs for sale. But wait, one of the dogs keeps biting the others! What do you do? You would probably take it away from the other dogs and keep it in a seperate enclosure, then warn anyone about it's behaviour around other dogs if they try to buy it.

But wait here's scenario two. The dog has killed several other dogs now at any chance it gets. You know nobody is going to buy it, and no one will take it from you. You can't teach it that killing is wrong... So what do you do? Do you put it in a cage and keep feeding it untill it dies several years later? Or do you give it a lethal injection?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Captain
Captain

I am a nervous speaker so speaking in front of a corut would scare me greatly. This would make me seem guilty but I am not. If there was a lie detector test I would be very nervous even if I was innosent. Im pretty sure our hearts would be going and we would be sweating if our lives where at steak.

Taz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Quote:
With the movie, yes I've seen it. That was a different time. In the 60's, people were racist. Not that racism isn't a problem today, but you don't see firefighters calling black people names and shooting them with fire hoses, do you? Racism isn't acceptable in today's society, so how does that apply here? Sure a judge or a prosecutor or an FBI agent or whatever might be prejudiced against a man, but you have to weigh in the other people too. The community, the jury, (they're specifically asked if they have any prejudices the court should know about for a reason) and others.

That may have been a different time. But evidence was planted and he was framed. The system is not without its faults, so calling it completely efficient is not right. Also death by lethal injection is a recent development. You used to have electric chairs and gas chambers. Even today, you do have those but as second options. Even firing squads are an option today. In here in India, capital punishment is carried out through hanging. How brutal is that. Though, very few people have been executed in the last 20 years.

Quote:
And advanced lie detector machines can detect spikes in blood pressure, an elevated heart rate, perspiration, and other things. They're not so primitive that they only measure one thing. It's not easy to pass a lie detector test if you're guilty.

You might just be nervous answering questions, and that could fail your test. There is a reason lie detectors are not really considered hard evidence anywhere.

Quote:
You've got to ask yourself. What are prisons/jails actually for? To rehabilitate murderers? So killers who have killed several people with an axe can think about what they did? No. It's to separate those people from the public. To prevent them from doing any more harm.

Seperate from us, alive in a prison while my tax pays for his 2 meals a day? No thanks.

Sure prisons are to keep criminals away from the public. And to prevent them from doing any more harm. The fact that you dont want your tax dollars spent on a criminal, but instead would want it to be used to kill him, is an inhuman thought. Then there would be no difference between us and the criminals. You cannot justify murder with murder.

The only category when I would say death penalty is valid, is for terrorists. That is war against the state. In war, killing is valid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm 
Captain
Captain

Quote:
The fact that you dont want your tax dollars spent on a criminal, but instead would want it to be used to kill him, is an inhuman thought.

Firstly, who are you to tell me that my thoughts are inhuman? A lot of humans think this way. Secondly it would cost a lot more to keep a man alive for 40+ years than to kill him. You don't need to be a genius to work that out.

Quote:
You cannot justify murder with murder.

Yes I can. If someone is a serial killer, I want him out of the picture. Not because I believe in "an eye for an eye". If keeping him alive was cheaper and easier than killing him, I'd be against the Death penalty as it would be pointless. But in reality, it's a lot harder and more expensive to keep these people alive, and in many cases, trying to rehabilitate them.

In my eyes, it isn't worth the money to keep them locked up and fed for their entire lives. I want them out of the picture in the most efficient way possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 pm 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Its not YOUR thoughts that I am talking about. I am talking about everyone that thinks that way. Yeah, it will cost far less to kill the guy than keep him alive for 40 plus years. My question is, who are you or anyone else to decide that he should die? He definitely did something wrong by making that choice in the first place. That the person he killed didnt deserve to live. Are we gonna make the same choice FOR him? How does it make you any better?

Quote:
Yes I can. If someone is a serial killer, I want him out of the picture. Not because I believe in "an eye for an eye". If keeping him alive was cheaper and easier than killing him, I'd be against the Death penalty as it would be pointless. But in reality, it's a lot harder and more expensive to keep these people alive, and in many cases, trying to rehabilitate them.

In my eyes, it isn't worth the money to keep them locked up and fed for their entire lives. I want them out of the picture in the most efficient way possible.

No you cant justify murder with murder. If a guy is a serial killer, then he deserves to be behind bars. But he killed cuz he is sick in the head. The Nazis killed people that were sick in the head and called it eugenics. Secondly, you cannot equate life with cost. The people you put to death are not cattle. Whether someone committed a heinous crime or not, a balanced approach is needed and it HAS to be humanitarian. If you want them out of the picture, sure, lock them up. It may not be possible in all cases to rehabilitate people, but its possible to prevent them from doing any more harm. When countries can approve trillions of tax payer money to go to wars and kill innocents all over the world, why is there a concern about keeping a few people alive their entire lives in jail?

Putting a price on a persons life, and evaluating whether its cheaper to either kill him, or keep him alive is indeed inhuman. You put a person to death not because you want him out of the picture, but because you wanna punish him. Thats the true motive of capital punishment. But murder is not punishment. Its murder. Real punishment is in the form of a life sentence. You take time away from a person by killing him/her, you lose time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next