It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kony 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
 WWW  Profile

dd like share and pesuate others to do so ...

glad to see a movement like this ....

btw i like the editing

now i have new thing to spam on 4chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Very good video, normally don't watch full videos:P but it was worth the watch.

Favorite allience to have won with: MGH
~Lain, fear the RAWR!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 pm 
Captain
Captain

A good idea forgoton :/

The Invisible Children.....

Founded in 2004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 am 
Captain
Captain

zach15 wrote:
A good idea forgoton :/

The Invisible Children.....

Founded in 2004

Worked with them back in high school as part of Youth Philanthropy Worldwide to build a school for the impoverished in Sudan. I have mixed feelings about them though, on one hand with the money we were able to raise countrywide with YPW, Invisible Children did build the school but on the other hand any money raised for the Kony movement goes towards funding the Uganda military who have caused just as much death and despair as Kony has.

Fighting Kony should not be done by empowering another evil force. I am all for spreading awareness about him and I believe the best way to fight him is to contact your local legislators in whatever country you live in. Let your country's leaders know that he needs to go and hopefully they can do something without empowering the evil that is Uganda's rulers right now.

8+ years of Battledawn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:40 am 
Captain
Captain

WOAH WOAH WOAH.

here to play devils advocate it the ducky.

i seriously hope that you properly look into invisible children before you donate.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comme ... ph/c3yi7d1
http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/201 ... ted_things

(imma sum it for you now, but really, that 2nd link blog has more than enough links throughout to give you a detailed over view)

lets look at some facts.

->>>KONY COULD ALREADY BE DEAD.<<<
-the LRA have been pushed out of uganda for 6 YEARS now. (outcry should have been 6 years ago, same with darfur sudan, it has to get horrible before people even care)
-the LRA number in HUNDREDS not 30 000. they are no longer as active (hence, speculation kony has died)
-the LRA is not nearly as active as some other groups in the region. yes, they cause death and destruction, no, they shouldnt be the scape goat for you to buy a box (it costs you $30 for a few stickers) and not even research into the situation at hand (can you even point out uganda on the map? no? thought so.)
-he has moved into central african republic, democratic republic of congo (i remember joking with friends years back that countries with the word democratic in their name never are) and south sudan.
-with the LRA pushed out of uganda. WHY DO INVISIBLE CHILDREN FUND THE RAPE MACHINE THAT IS THE UGANDAN ARMY?
-with the LRA out of uganda, what can the ugandan military do with the funds since pursuing kony outside of uganda is beyond their juristiction. i swear im gonna punch a wall if the funds encourage the ugandan army to raid military outposts in nearby countries sparking war.
-why pursue direct military intervention? we are talking about a major viral video here with millions of people blindly accepting and donating and working for this cause. they will feel frustrated because LO AND BEHOLD the ugandan military cant do anything beyond its borders (they do, but its all illegal).
-will they campaign for direct military intervention?
-out of iraq and into uganda?
-out of the frying pan and into the fire?

unfortunately, im cynical and the second i started watching that 30 min vid (yesterday) i knew something was off, it was far too professional. it was professional to the point it cost $850 000 to make it. this is $850 000 straight from charitable donations. i never trust production costs that high to be a good charity.

from there, i noted further along in the video that money is getting channeled to the ugandan military. known for human rights abuses such as murder, torture, rape, etc. corruption is rampant so any money going to uganda will trickle through their corrupt officials hands (their 'prime minister' gave himself a 4th term. thats 25 years running uganda, all through this kony struggle with many officials bribed and paid for)

furthermore, the ugandan army has taken these donations as signals to raid nearby resource rich congo, an army with known human rights violations should never be funded by good meaning but otherwise ignorant westerners watching a video hyped on emotion.

most worryingly is that indepedant organisations (such as the BBB) are not allowed to view invisible children's financial books. this is really unacceptable for a charity. they have no reason for hiding it other than the fact they are squandering a vast amount of money they are raising (a figure ive seen is only 32% make it overseas and of that, a certain percentile go to funding the ugandan army which has been known to rape all the women in entire towns). their administration and production costs are far too high for a charity and this latest media stunt just isnt deserving of the amount of money that will flow into their coffers when i personally think organisations such as the red cross, amnesty international or doctors without borders are far more valid in terms of financial transparency and overall commitment to helping rather than merely viral marketting.

@mxmxm123 -> please dont spam this kind of thing, feel free to spread it. i spread it by increasing discussion on its legitimacy. but spam is never acceptable simply because its annoying and if this cause is 100% legitimate, you are demeaning it by making people hate the link

in short. yes, it is still charity, but no, you must be careful before putting all your chips into a pile and going all in. question. think. analyze.

-ducky out (usually i wouldnt have come back until next week, but i knew this Kony thread would be here and had to weigh in)

edit* kudos to the mods/admins for uncensoring rape. i remember a time when that word was censored.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

Last edited by mrducky on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 am 
Captain
Captain

I didn't watch it. I don't need to. And I dislike that people are telling me I "need to watch it". I already knew this sort of stuff was happening. Now due to the popularity of this video, I know one of the guys names. That's fine I suppose. Hopefully he and alot of other people like him die soon.

I dislike how so many people are acting like they had absolutely no idea this sort of stuff happened before they watched that video. I'm sure it's not a very pleasing video to watch. But unless you're 12, you shouldn't be shocked by it. If you didn't already know about this kind of stuff happening then you really need to start questioning yourself.

Edit: Very good post ducky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:30 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

I watched the video, and I think things of the sort are horrible. But I felt the documentary does not discuss, various other political issues in that region. The 2nd Congo war cost 5.4 million lives, and mind you that is close to Holocaust numbers. But nothing was ever reported. There were human rights abuses, like ethnic cleansing and child soldiers are and were a major problem. The LRA is no different.

Secondly, I never trust these activist groups that much, cuz once they see a problem, their sole objective is in securing funds for their activities and spreading not just the message but also their brand. And what people before me have said. Giving money to the Ugandan army, is like replacing the LRA with another sinister organization.

A military intervention will never work, simply because it is not as simple as taking out a group of militants. You will end up fighting culture, ethnic groups without understanding the issues they face in day to day life. I guess this Kony business is far more complicated than what we assume it to be. And Invisible Children does not do a good job of highlighting what those complications are or what those problems are. Solving those problems will be the only way to disband groups like the LRA, cuz whatever their methods and as brutal as they may be, they are fighting against somebody for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

100 American soldiers has been sent to Africa

^- Critisism of the critisism

Thank you Michael
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15076
Thank you developers
(^-check out the topics)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:40 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Now that you showed me The Young Turks, I dont give a rats ass about Kony or his desperate kids anymore. I like that chick Ana Kasparian :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:34 pm 
Captain
Captain

Quote:

->>>KONY COULD ALREADY BE DEAD.<<<
-the LRA have been pushed out of uganda for 6 YEARS now.

Incorrect, they left, and if Koney was dead, the LRA would crumble

and they still have reports of him being alive

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next