It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Solar Flares
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

If they knock out power grids it could last for weeks maybe months.. I know many that can't look past not being able to play BD ..
But do you actually know the devastation this could cause to places this will happen !! Espeacially big cities ..
Ever hear of KATRINA ? think the looting and shooting was bad then ? Don't keep your eyes closed prepare yourselves !

Wins SYN UGTB AnD

Post subject: Re: Solar Flares
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:21 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

But such a solar flare will have far more disastrous consequences other than just power disruption. Radiation will be a big threat, and we'd have no way of stopping it . Especially to Astronauts during manned missions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:28 am 
Captain
Captain

I'm fairly prepared for something like this. I'm not one of those people who have a 10 years supply of food stored away in an underground bunker. But i've got enough food to keep 1 person alive for several months. I'm sure alot of= people do without realising it, so that's not much of a problem.

If (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..) really does hit the fan and things go crazy and it's no longer safe to stay in my own home, I'm fairly prepared to give myself a decent chance of surviving long enough.

I live in a country where guns are hard to come by, and the land is very sparsely populated once you drive away from the cities. Lots of wilderness. Without sounding like the classic "i'd go live inna woods" idiot... I've got nearly everything I would need. I've got a collection of knives for different uses. a proper gas mask, plenty of practical bags to keep everything in, a powerful crossbow, shovel, ladder, water purifier etc etc. Everything else I need. I'd quite simlpy steal somebodies van, put everything in it, drive store alot of fuel in the back with it, put a motorbike in t he back and then drive off far away from populated places and find a good place to camp out. Close to water, close to animal grounds, plenty of trees and all of that.

I'd then dig out a hole, park the van in it and use the van as the main shelter. Have it dug in and over the course of my stay there I would aquire wood and continue to build upon my shelter to make it livable and secure.

After a month of living by myself, eating from my supplies which would be low at this point and may have started hunting for food, I'd take the bike to the nearest (still far away) small village. Check how things are. If it appears order hasn't been restored, i'd probably steal whatever supplies I can from the weak and return home.

Repeat each month untill order to society has been restored.

If I find a suitable person to help me, I may pick them up. However that is unlikely. Trusting someone I don't know would probably get me killed eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:39 am 
Major
Major
 YIM  Profile

Wow you just imagined yourself in a future dystopian, society devoid of law and order, morals etc didnt you? :lol:

Well if I have no power, it wont bother me. In India you already have a lot of power cuts, because of shortage in generation. So we have a gas powered generator at home. And we will be fixing solar panels for heating, basic lighting etc very soon. Therefore all I'd have to do is raid the nearest gas station :lol: :lol:

A life of crime and gas theft for the win!! :lol: :lol:

Other than that, we have our own garden, where we grow fruits and vegetables. I bet I can survive that way for quite a while :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:42 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 WWW  YIM  Profile

without electricity and internet... I would better die...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:50 am 
Captain
Captain

mfreak wrote:
Wow you just imagined yourself in a future dystopian, society devoid of law and order, morals etc didnt you? :lol:

Well if I have no power, it wont bother me. In India you already have a lot of power cuts, because of shortage in generation. So we have a gas powered generator at home. And we will be fixing solar panels for heating, basic lighting etc very soon. Therefore all I'd have to do is raid the nearest gas station :lol: :lol:

A life of crime and gas theft for the win!! :lol: :lol:

Other than that, we have our own garden, where we grow fruits and vegetables. I bet I can survive that way for quite a while :P

Yeah if it was just a loss of power, I'd stay at home and things would more than likely be fine. But my other plan was for an extreme scenario where it would be too dangerous to stay in the city.

Man lived in survival mode long before living comfortably in cities. With todays basic equitment, it really shouldn't be too hard. The biggest danger would be other humans, killing out of desperation. Hence the moving away from populated areas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Even your own family will eventually try to take out your own childs mouths if you have any ..
I'd need a companion for such long stay away .. Saying as coming to check months later.. If you'd meet a pretty face lady best bet RUNNNN :lol:

Wins SYN UGTB AnD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:08 am 
Captain
Captain

tdoc25 wrote:
Even your own family will eventually try to take out your own childs mouths if you have any ..
I'd need a companion for such long stay away .. Saying as coming to check months later.. If you'd meet a pretty face lady best bet RUNNNN :lol:

Handcuffs and rope. No need to run.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Nah you wish it would be that easy .. She wouldn't still be alive for no reason.. She's a cold blooded killer ! most likely a well trained one.. Because withing the first months or months you know the women will have been raped and killed.. you said you'd be alone and come to check back a month later. You think a pretty woman would just be strolling around O_O .. :o

Wins SYN UGTB AnD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:18 am 
Captain
Captain

I did say small village. Like 20 adults at the most. At least half of them elderly. The rest being children. These people will most likely sit in their homes and try to wait it out. I've been there before. The nearest small town is 40 miles away. And there are plenty of other tiny villages dotted along the country even further away from population centres.

Yes, I've planned it out on a map.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next